A Tuesday to think about

So, this Tuesday was pretty exceptional for me. I mean, me, the homeboy who loves staying at home, just stayed at home for just 3 hours. I mean this is a new record for this year. I used to be very outgoing, social and hyper. But those days are over. This country has its way of infecting the atmosphere with the slumbering effect.

So after spending my routine morning at work, sitting idle for the 2nd week in a row (we are victims of unnecessary politics), my colleague at work was desperate to go change his cellphone. I mean I never imagined that cellphones are much cheaper here than in india. The tough nut was that he was looking for a rare model. The Nokia E61. And he preferred a used model. So I took him to the best place..the Mobile Black Market. Its the same place where I sold my Nokia 6610 2 years ago before the place was raided by police 10 minutes ago. But who cares? Its not like I'll ever learn.. :P


So after searching for like an hour through at least 60 shops, we actually found 3 shops that sold a used one. There was limited release of this cellphone in the market and they were all sold out. Out of these shops, one was in an excellent condition but was being sold at a high price, nearly same as new one, the other one had a cellphone but it was "abused"..cover is scratched, keys are sticky, software is a bit slow and screen isn't bright. So this was out too. The last one we checked was almost the perfect one. I mean its still pretty clean and its sold at a decent price. So I asked the salesman about how long was it used and why was it sold..."just for few days and the buyer died"...WHAT? did he just say he passed away? I gave him the "are you serious" look..but his face was plain and telling me..."I am not kidding you, he died and his family returned the cellphone but its in very good conditions"..I signalled for my friend that its time to leave the store but he was still out of the loop as he didn't understand the Arabic conversation I just had. He was like: "what hamza..cellphone is good"...."yea, but the one who had the cellphone died.." "huh?..."he expired"..."aaah ok, I don't want it then" Its another thing about Indians that they don't understand the word "dying"..they always use "expired" term. Its like humans are cheese or milk products

So after our mini-journey there, we decided to head for jarir bookstores..and I was still shocked that the "a brief history of everything" book I've ordered a month ago still didn't arrive. I mean Amazon.com would have been much better for me. I dunno but I didn't wanna leave empty handed. A good book caught my eye. The "why men don't have a clue, and why women need more shoes". A good look at the index "why women nag", "why do men insist on leaving toilet seat up?", "why do women want to talk so much"..sex tests appeals, "moses wondered the desert for 40 years, yet he never asked for directions"..were enough reasons to convince me to pack that little kid home.

Came home just in time to catch the "prison break" premiere..then went out with my friend to a coffee shop to watch the 2nd round of Champions League. We chose a large coffee shop. Large in the sense that it has 3 floors and it was packed. The only place we found was in the basement. Two adjacent large 52 inch Tvs,..two different matches..inter vs Valencia and Barcelona vs Liverpool and worst of it all is two commentators screaming from top of the lungsThat's one more thing. I tried to have an eye on a match and another eye on the other, but our primitive brains doesn't handle real-time multitasking. One second you'd be like "wooo...it hit the post" and next second you'd be seeing ibrahimovic and canizares fighting..one second you'd be applauding a good catch by Julio Cesar, and the next second, you'd be on your nerves after Riise's shot nearly skimmed the net.

It was indeed a day to think about. I mean seriously, I don't want somebody to auction or sell my stuff after I die and I'll never buy a a gadget or an item that belongs to someone who is deceased..even if it is Anna Nicole Smith's panties (that if she wore any). Another thing is..don't you wish you can carry a portable brain that comes with an additional eye set that's "attach & run". Its just that I believe that our standard of living is increasingly demanding what I call real-time multitasking and....ok, I'll stop, this post is getting geeky. Looks like my computer science character is rebelling again...

6 comments:

Kinano said...

LMAO @ "he expired"!
Who knew?!

Sounds like a day I would have gone on, not you :P only replace the used mobile phone place with a bookshop and the sporty cafe with a nice cozy cafe...

KJ said...

I actually have that book :P it is interesting. But mostly doesn't apply to Arabic culture.

And LMAO @ expired! I know you told me this before but I always crack up every time! hehehehe

Two screens... two football matches... too much information! I can't handle ONE match, let alone two, simulatenously

Hamza said...

yeah I know. they have many other weird slangs like "yaar" which is somehow a reference to "man" or "buddy" or "pal"

Ms Loala said...

loool @ anna nicoles!!!
Well, trust me, you don't want hunted gadgets! I once had a hunted babrie that used to cause me nightmares about dying x\ i threw that monster away, thank god otherwise i'd be expired!

Hamza said...

Ms loala:
wow,I never knew voodooed barbies can be that messed up

Ms Loala said...

I loved it, it was a gift from the UK :'(