Tales of Tahlia Street

King Fahd fountain might be Jeddah's famous landmark; yet residents of the city would usually nominate Tahlia Street to be by far the best place to hang out because of its unique incidents that you witness each time you take that road.

Whereas Paris's Champs Elysees is being recognized as one of the most prestigious avenues, Jeddah's Tahlia street can be nominated as one of the famous streets in Middle East for its unique incidents that you witness each time you take that road.

One of the wealthiest streets in Jeddah, filled with many shopping malls & upscale department shops that give it its fashionable flavour, dozens of coffee shops and restaurants that range from being classy, oriental, casual, sporty or even futuristic designs that makes it a focal point for hanging out and chilling.

What's even more significant is the district itself. The sight of the exotic cars like carreras, lamborghinis, MT evolution, camaros, M3s and many others leaves you jaw-dropping. It is one of the few ( if not the only one) that has a timed traffic light; displaying the number of seconds remaining to go from red to green. Thus boosting the number of in-town short races.

Cruising in Tahlia Street requires 130% of you attention because of all those show-off lunatics who want to squirm you by any means possible. Anybody can cut you and switch to your lane anywhere anytime with no consideration whether you are head to bump with the car in front of you or not. It is foreseen as an extra challenge that's worth achieving with its only reward is fulfilling self-satisfaction.

Minutes later, you stop at the next traffic light. You car is vibrating vigorously by a strong bass from an unknown source. You know deep inside that it is not from the tape you are playing. After all, I doubt that Fadl Shaker's voice is strong enough to shake the side mirrors of a car. But the approximately 20 000 Watt system equipped at the H3 hummer at your 3 o'clock gaze is capable of earthquaking the world around it. It is still a mystery how the H3 still manages not to break apart from the deafening resonance of its monstrous sound system.

From time to time, you might be lucky enough to be side by side with a luxurious car with the rear window half open to reveal a gorgeous unveiled girl that lets the wind caress her hair like some Head & shoulders ad. If you admire her beauty and hesitate for few seconds, then you have literally risked your life as a speeding car is willing to take your place and take the necessary action that you didn't dare to do; i.e. to position half your body out the window to projectile a small piece of paper to her laps and praying that she'll call soon. This is one of the many alternatives that desperate guys get involved themselves in. The whole activity is known as Targeem. You can read further on it here.

Saving the best for last, I will let the pictures describe the next guy we have:



Yep. That's an argeeleh seated at the Passenger side. An argeeleh + melhem barakat...this guy lives in his own "Lala land".

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now the last bit was so funny! But I do remember the Targeem!! But of course it was so much easier for the guys in Kuwait! ;)

If I was driving on that road I’ll having so much fun racing!! :D Well I know I won’t be allowed to drive there so I won’t come to give it a try! :P But cars bikes!!! I LOVE!! Stupid guy smoking argeeleh in his car I don’t like!

KJ said...

I witnessed them all when I was there, except the shisha thing. I wonder how they don't set the car on fire

Ms Loala said...

LOOOOL @ the sheesha :P
Sooo typical ...!

"Once" i've went to the KSA and never will unless it was for 7aj :\

I couldn't stand the scenes there .....
this is not on planet
this it NOT on planet


"Calms herself and exit"

Anonymous said...

I've never visited KSA. You guys make it sound like it's not on earth.

The Observer said...

Man, you have to be careful driving on that street! :S

Kinano said...

LOOOOOOL @ argheeleh in car :P

this guy isnt serious, is he? i thought sheeshas were banned in KSA!!!

Hamza said...

nora-cassandra- that's the beauty of not being able to drive. You'll get your own driver and ask him to do some racing. What's better than that? :D

KJ- lol. This takes experience my friend. Giving just the right pressure on the breaks.

ms loala- oh come on. KSA is a very unique place. I think its the only place in the world where you have an area that instead of being filled with hookers, you have it filled with philipino gays. lol

cece- its a very good place...if you've never been anywhere else. :P. by the way, KSA is heaven for women. they always get VIP treatment. They don't drive. Instead they have drivers. They don't work. They'd rather spend all their time & money at saloons and malls. :D

the observer- yea I know. Thank God I am not the one driving. My friend is an expert when it comes to handling these situations. :)

kinan - dude, dude, dude. I told you for the zillionth time that shishas are ONLY banned in riyadh. This is jeddah my friend. The DUBAI of KSA..ok let's not exaggerate.

Anonymous said...

Sorry my sweet dear! I do my own racing and driving; thank you very much! I was supposed to be an F1 driver or maybe a rally driver! I race every time I have a chance! It’s the bad luck of living in Kuwait 15 years that made sure I couldn’t try go professional! :P

Nora-Cassandra said...

I'm even getting a motorbike real soon! And I might study mechanics just for a hobby!!! :D

Anonymous said...

That sounds nice, but I don't wanna live like that forever.

Isam said...

well ta7liya is a good pass time ... alot fo good cars and places to go ... my favourite place Break Time is there ... and also my beautiful Nando's ...

i once did argeeleh in car but its very risky ... allah satar ...

Anonymous said...

comeon.. it's not that bad! You guys havent SEEN BAD!