A new insight to boycotting

In the aftermath of the 2nd uprising (intifada), there was a media propaganda that was endorsing the idea of boycotting Jewish / American products like COCA-COLA, NESTLE, INTEL, KIMBERLY-CLARK etc. Although the campaign has been successful in causing major losses for those companies, many people are short-sighted to the effects of a small decision such as whether to drink this can of coca cola or not. So let's pause here for a while

You can hardly say that Palestine has an economy and of course that's obvious from the political instability in the area. No investment, no new business ventures and thus no jobs are out there. This has exponentially skewed the unemployment rate.

On the other hand, Israel might be small in geographical size but it is the most industrially and developed country in the Middle East. I'll leave it to you to read more about it here. The point is, Israel is a country with a very high potential in scientific and industrial development. Considering all this and the factor that they have a population of ONLY 7.1 million people, you can clearly see that there are abundant vacant positions that are waiting to be filled.

In the end, the Palestinian worker (especially the ones supporting families) is facing the dilemma of either staying patriotic and wait for the "so-called" donations (that will never arrive) coming from Arabic countries before his family starve to death, or take a peak on the other side and work for the same enemy that his people are fighting against against. It's a tough call. But he may justify it by thinking that he'd be taking the money from the Jews, feeding his family and his people. Yea, that's gotta be a wise decision. Or so he may think.

Israel needs us. They don't have an enough workforce especially in the blue-collar jobs. They'd love to hire Palestinians as waiters, construction workers, plumbers, carpenters and other jobs that they feel they can enslave us whenever possible; And what a miserable state it would …to be a slave in your own country. But whether we like it or not, a reported number of 33,386 were working inside Israel as of March 2004.

Ok, now let's go back to our stand on boycotting. A successful boycotting campaign would result in reduced profits or huge losses (depending on the significance of the impact it had on the operations) to the business. Such a business will absorb these unexpected losses by reducing costs. And what would be the easiest way to reduce costs? Laying off employees. So guess who's going to get nailed after all? Poor Palestinians again.

This is not another conspiracy theory. I have been to Palestine 3 times and to Israel, Tel Aviv to be specific, once (illegally of course. Trust me, driving for half an hour through banana fields is not interesting at all :P). It was the first time in my life that I've seen a western European culture. Clean streets, many green areas, beggars making money by playing music, cars stopping when a pedestrian puts his foot on the street…it was mesmerizingly beautiful. The first thing that came out of my mouth after seeing all this was "I never want them to leave…they take care of it better than we do"

Now don't get me wrong, I am not suggesting that we should NOT boycott pro-Israel products. I just want you to think deeply about the impact of boycotting and its significance the next time you decide to take that decision. What would be your call?

20 comments:

KJ said...

You can boycott non-essentials but cannot boycott essentials, that's my say.

And I don't drink coke or pepsi anyway.

Boycotting is good in short term rather than long term to be honest. A sudden drop is sales hurts the company but then, like you said, it adjusts, so the boycott won't work.

So next time you boycott, make sure it is in a massive scale and for a small concentrated period of time.

Anonymous said...

I agree with KJ on the boycotting part :)

and about the jobs in the jewish state...I say why not!!

ya3ni as u said..either u starve ur family or u work for them and secretly plot their destruction ;)

Isam said...

I agree 100 % ...

this is however not a new insight to me ... i thought abt it when it was really "hip" to boycott 5 6 years ago ... and people would brand me a Normalizer (motabbe3) ... and the worst thing is that they boycotted the national stuff like pepsi and Mcduh BK KFC among others ( which jordanians work in) and left big things like cars planes whatever untouched !

stupid !

its all about appearences !

Ms Loala said...

Hamza, i strongly advise you to stop writing starting from 12am, otherwise you'll cause a global catastrophe :p

I'm not into politics whatsoever, but i don't support war, violenece and specially land occupation. So i hope everything will turn out ok in the near future ...

7aki Fadi said...

Why can't we have peace :(. It breaks my heart wallah.

Hamza said...

KJ- I totally agree with you. That's another good strategy. You can boycott Starbucks but you cannot boycott INTEL products

Ghasheema- If I were put in that position, I'd choose to work in Israel. Welcome abroad :)

Isam - thanks mate. I am glad to know that somebody out there is aware of that. Don't bother about those who call you "Normalizer"..Apparently, they are not good at seeing big picture

ms loala- :(. oh come on. what's wrong with my post this time? :( I I just blog at night coz everybody is asleep and its so quiet and serene around me...and because I am a bit insomniac :$

7aki fadi - I am ok with FAIR peace. not the kind of peace that deprived jordan of access to its water resources.

Anonymous said...

Well..i dont like talking about politics but ur post made me to do that.

In my opinion The enemey will always stay The enemey!
Working for Jewish company is simply working for the enemey.

its like a guy with a big suitcase comes offering you big money for your land (in a non-direct way.)

Thats my humble opinion :>

Sene said...

I rally do not like politics. But your post really made me think...

Palestinian going to work for an ISraeli. I talked to a palestinian lady at my work place. She readily agrees with you. At the end of the day you need food on the table, roof on your head...And if the only way to get it is by working for an Israeli, then why not?? At least it's better than seeing your family starve.

Elijah said...

I boycotted Starbucks because the CEO said that he will be using the money to help the children of Israel fight the Intifada.

I know other companies help also but this guy came and said it directly. So my conscience won't allow me to go there.

Hamza said...

maher - I respect your opinion. But would you still do the same if you were in their shoes?

sene - it is like Maslow's Pyramid. They should be able to live and survive to be able to fight and free our country

elijah - exactly, I stopped going to starbucks after I got that forward. I was very offended.

The Observer said...

Hamza, I cheer you for your courage!

You didn't only ask us to reconsider boycotting Israeli products, but you have also admit that they do a better job in taking car of that land than us!

I find some bitterness in admitting that! and find it very hard to speak it out especially knowing that other people would never admit it.

We don't like to talk about shortagous thinking that means we have ourselves! While in fact those who talks about it, care the most!

Thank you.

Anonymous said...

i checked the official website and the news was there so it wasn't just a forward.

Sam said...

Im elijha, i boycott starbucks because of that statment..

maher the thing is they already took the land whether the palestinians work for them not, they do not need to pay us..but at the end of the day the most improtant thing is feeding your family and providing for them....would you rather sit home and watch your children starve to death?? what other choices do they have?? not that many!

great post hamza..!

Gay by Nature said...

why would anyone boycott jewish products? arent they better in their quality than most arabic products (I'm not goin to mention any country.) !!..but u can figure..as a reform jew myself who came from islamic background..I can assure you that the arab world will never boycott american products you did it before in intifada and you failed miserably..

Gay by Nature said...

Elijah wrote :

I boycotted Starbucks because the CEO said that he will be using the money to help the children of Israel fight the Intifada.

GBN : your so naive..I was at starbucks last night and it was full of arabs..cant you see you ve been brainwashed !! gosh

Gay by Nature said...

Kj wrote :

Boycotting is good in short term rather than long term to be honest. A sudden drop is sales hurts the company but then, like you said, it adjusts, so the boycott won't work.

GBN : Well I hate to disappoint you kj, most of these american companises are runnin by arabs, KFC, Hardees, Pizzahut you name it , so if you think ur hurting israel or america your wrong ..your shootin your foot..

Hamza said...

the observer- man, it is so shameful to see people capable of building a society in less than 50 years that makes you forget about the heritage and history of this holy land while we are just standing there watching.

Gay by Nature- well well well,somebody is enjoying the luxury of commenting on my blog.

It is no secret that we heavily depend on jewish & american products. Yet there is no harm in trying to find alternatives.

Despite the fact that many arabs (who don't know about the CEO contribution to Israel) go to starbucks, I managed to find an alternative (and I assume its the same for Elijah). I still can't figure out why elijah have been "brainwashed"

As for American companies owned by arabs, you need to understand that these arabs bought a franchise and whether they make profit or not, they have to give an annual contribution to the mother company. what boycotting will do is try to bankrupt those franchises in our country. Again, the problem will be with the arab employees working with these companies. :(

Sam said...

oops..i meant to say im with elihja in my previous comment..i feel like a moron for forgetting the with...it makes a big difference eh? dah!

Gay by Nature said...

Hamzah wrote :

As for American companies owned by arabs, you need to understand that these arabs bought a franchise and whether they make profit or not, they have to give an annual contribution to the mother company. what boycotting will do is try to bankrupt those franchises in our country. Again, the problem will be with the arab employees working with these companies.

Gay by Nature said...

Hamzah wrote: As for American companies owned by arabs, you need to understand that these arabs bought a franchise and whether they make profit or not, they have to give an annual contribution to the mother company. what boycotting will do is try to bankrupt those franchises in our country. Again, the problem will be with the arab employees working with these companies.


GBN: I dont see any problem, your the one who thinks that we should boycott israrli/ american products..you wont find any alternative for Pepsi or Coca Cola(Mecca Cola taste sucks), or KFC, Hardees .. its imposible let it go Hamzah .. :)