My Apology

Dear All bloggers,


Some of you may have noticed that I have not been very active lately in reading posts/commenting or even writing. I wanna apologize and I hope that none of you misunderstand it as lack of interest in your blogs. Its just I have been a bit preoccupied workwise and lifewise and I barely have the time to check blogs.

Another reason that contributed is the fact that I have become "laptopless". My laptop has welcomed my return to jeddah with its retirement. It no longer works. The diagnosis states that the motherboard is dead. So thank you Toshiba Tecra S1 for wonderful 44 months that we shared many ups & downs.




So now I am on the hunt for new laptops. What I want is a lightweight, prefarably with long battery life, 12 or 13 inch screen, an acceptable gfx card, and S-video output. I am pretty intersted in the SONY VAIO series. So far, I am shortlisting those 3 laptops:

SONY VAIO VGN-FZ35M

Pros: 200 GB hardisk, Nvidia GEFORCE 8400, 2.10 core 2 duo processor, 2 GB ram, cheap relative t other prices, 3 year warranty

Cons: 15.4 inch screen, 2.7 kg laptop (which pretty does not mean 2 of my 3 reqs)



SONY VAIO SZ740

Pros: 2.4 core 2 duo, 13.1 inch screen, s-video, 2 GB ram
Cons: 1 year warranty from the shop. Sony Vaio are support center are not willing to sell me additonal 3 year warranty because this pertains to SONY US which is apparently different than sony middle East. so if anything happens after 1 year, I am royally screwed.





SONY VAIO CR35M

Pros: best choice. 2.10 ghz core 2 duo, 14.1 inch ( what I want), 3 hours battery life, 200 GB hardisk, 2 GB ram...its just what I need

Cons: its PIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINK...aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.



On the other hand, sometimes i think that I shouldn't rush in buying a laptop. I already have a desktop pc at home (disadvantage is that its not always available for me) & I am promised a new DELL laptop for work. Nevertheless, I feel I will need a laptop for personal use. I had toshiba for 3 years and i am sick of them. ACER are the cheapest option and I heard they became better but they remain inferior to rest of brands. HP is another good option but its too common and many ppl have HPs. to tell you the truth, I like to look different (not show-off, just different). So, sony vaio would remain my best option.

UNLESS...

I go for MACs.....but the question is...am I ready for the switch? am I ready to embrace those super bright white machines? Sometimes I think, if Angels have laptops, they'd carry MACs.. So am i ready to become an angel? a handicapped angel that works with only one click? :P

11 comments:

asoom said...

dude you're too nice.

Yea my Toshiba put up with me with exactly 3 years before calling it quits. It actually still operates, but very rough.

I now have a Sony Vaio VGN-FZ14OE which cost me a few hundred dollars more than that toshiba and so far I'm not too impressed. I've had it since last september and it freezes frequently and will spontaneously restart at times.

If I could go back I wouldn't have gotten a Vaio, I would gotten an the IBM I had my eyes on before the Vaio...unless of course I saw a pink Vaio!

KJ said...

Get the pink one. Then go and use it in some public place in Saudi. Since you like to be, you know, different :)

eshda3wa said...

i hope u dont buy a pink one :p

Kinano said...

MacBook AIR :D

7aki Fadi said...

Acer makes really good laptops. I have an Acer and I have 2 friends who have an Acer and it's superb. I've had it for 1.5 - 2 years and it still works like bran new, LOVE IT.

Buy anything but HP because their laptops SUCK big time. Everybody I know who bought an HP are hating it.

But if you are loaded, oh man the mac book air looks HOT

Anonymous said...

Damn I was going to comment on the pink but people already did. Hope everything settles and you find what you're looking for. You've been missed in blogsphere.

Anonymous said...

Can't help u with a computer choice but am glad you clarified your absence, I started to think that you don't like me loooooooool just kidding :)

When u have the comp, the first thing you to try out is to do your blog round..looking forward to see you around :)

starwish said...

I'd so totally get the pink one! Don't they have a baby blue one? Maybe you can get that :D

Did you know that Sony originally created the Sony Vaio colour series with Japanese women in mind? :P

Ms Loala said...

MAC MAC MAC!

You can always have two OSs with mac computers, if you're lost with Mac OS, then reboot and switch to Windows. So no worries there ;-)

Hamza said...

asoom - thank you. I feel guilty that even commenting on this took me a week. thanks for sharing ur experience

Kj - looooooool..no I'll buy it and give it to you as a gift

eshda3wa - of course I won't

kinano - kupo, but it doesn't have dvd :S

7aki Fadi - hmmm..you are the first one who has +ve feedback about acer. thanks for the tips

batoul.a - thanks for understanding. there is an ASUS laptop that I am eying.

noura -tekram 3einek. the first blog I'll visit is yours. But don't worry, I'll visit even before bringing it but don't expect me to check as I used to

starwish - aha..so its for women only. Ok then, I am not buying a vaio anymore

ms loala - ah,another blind supporter to the mac series.

starwish said...

I think Acer laptops really sucks. My sister's laptop just broke down after only 1.5 years! While my previous Acer desktop pc broke down after 5 years. Their laptops are of inferior quality, I'm sure of it!